Friday, February 28, 2014

Some Things Must Come to an End

I'm having a horrible week and bought this CD to cheer me up. But I really can't believe that the past year is almost ending. I know some things must come to an end. So my first year Japan is ending and its Graduation for the 3rd High Schools students here. I am very lucky to have been allowed to join the ceremony this year. I didn't actually ask, I just left a post-it note on MY desk, and the JTE saw it and asked.... I was totally going to ask today as I left the post-it note to remind me to ask. I was saved the trouble I guess. Its just going to be strange to say goodbye to all the 3rd year students. Although, I only teach two classes out of the three. They are still interesting students who have spoken to me outside of classes and have seemed to have taken an interest in learning English. Even if some don't like the JTE. I felt accepted by the students because they seemed to talk to me and even though they would sometimes ask non-topic related questions during class, they still eventually did the worksheets I set them. I know I am never going to forget the students I taught for the first year of teaching. But I also feel a little guilty for getting attached to them. But if I don't get close to my students, how am I meant to understand them and figure out what works for them when trying to learn what I'm teaching. I guess its just a downside to teaching. Its been a great year, although with some awkward moments and I hope I don't get any more horny students making about my body shape. But I think I've settled into my role a little more and I can handle the students if it gets out of control. When I arrived I didn't know what to expect at my schools, what the teachers were like, if they would accept me and if they would talk to me. One of the best choices I made, was asking to join the Brass Band Club. Though I feel bad for not going as much as I should, but I was in the staff room working on things. So its not like I was missing it for a lame reason such as not really wanting to go. It was the perfect opportunity to get to know more of my students and keep playing the flute. As much as I would like to have my third year students again for another year, I can't keep them behind a year. I can only wish them the best and hope they do what they really want to do. I just have to make sure that I don't start crying when its time to say goodbye to them. Though its going to be hard, as my small class of 9 were amazing students and I got on with them really well. Its just a little shame that there is going to be more changes than I hope in the future. But I guess its going to be a new challenge and one I will have to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment